The Law Society of NSW is Australia's largest and most influential membership association for solicitors. We're not all lawyers, but we work together to support the legal profession and ensure a just society for all.
We are currently looking for a BI Reporting Developer to join our Information Management team.
About the role
The Business Intelligence (BI) Reporting Developer focuses on understanding business data, analysing data and generating reports and dashboards, performing quality assurance testing to ensure the data presented is correct as well as providing technical support and assistance to the business users where required.
The primary responsibility of the role is to support various reporting initiatives. You will analyse, design and implement quality reports and dashboards for the business.
As the BI Reporting Developer, you are expected to not only be a capable analyst of raw data, but are able to derive meaning from the data, relate it back to the source and work with the business to derive valuable context required for daily tasks and make decisions. You are a champion for data innovation and can use your creativity to find solutions for teams at every level of their data journey.
About the team
You will be joining the Information Management Team that help deliver data analysis services to the business. The Information Management Team covers a wide area of data analysis and application code development and key application foundation services.
What you'll be doing
Data Reporting â Technical
- Create, update, and upgrade end user reports in Power BI.
- Create and update T-SQL queries, stored procedures and views using the Law Society code standard to obtain the data required for reports.
- Where data is not available from a database, extract data from a variety of sources and transform it for use with a Power BI data model.
- Create and update Power BI data models for use with both single reports and reports using shared datasets.
- Be competent in DAX and Power M to meet end user requirements.
- Determine a reporting structure to ensure that increased usability is available for reports shared between departments.
- Identify potential faults and optimization opportunities within the Reporting suite and other related reports and dashboards.
- Monitor availability and provide recommendations on performance, capacity, data integrity and quality for the BI reports.
- Ensure all report access is secured and audited.
- Highlight any data issues and work with the data architects to continue to develop the data warehouse as a source of truth in the business.
- Design aesthetically pleasing and functional reports that meet the LSNSW branding guidelines/ templates but where required able to use the guidelines to make appropriate design choices.
Data Reporting â Non-Technical
- Develop/document high quality and well-written user guides, business rules, processes, data flows and other documentation for use by the Information Management team and business users.
- Provide feedback to the Information Management Data Architect on data requirements (historical snapshots, data requirements) for integration later.
- Involved in Project Team as a SME and key member on determining reporting needs and providing data requirements at the start of a project.
- Promote the Reporting function for operational as well as strategic needs.
- Develop and maintain reporting standards, policies and guidelines and ensure they applied to all reports developed.
- With the team develop policies and procedures for the collection and analysis of data.
- Populate User Acceptance forms and ensure all required approvals exist before deployment of the reports.
- Support a collaborative and progressive team environment.
- Standardise and highlight improvements to services.
- Provide and maintain troubleshooting support and knowledge sharing across IT.
- Significant and relevant experience in requirements gathering, research and analysis, solution discovery, training, and other general Business Analysis capability is required.
- Tertiary qualifications in Information Systems, Computing Science or similar.
- 5+ years’ experience as a BI Developer (Preferably Power BI).
- 5+ years’ experience with SQL/T-SQL.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong discovery, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Tertiary qualification in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of relational and non-relational databases.
- Familiarity with Data Warehouses and Data Lakes.
- Background in project management or business analysis.
- Competency in using Azure and other tools in the Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate).
- Competency in using Canva design software.
More about you
- Strong interpersonal skills for conduct in a client facing role, and ability to adapt to communicating with users from a variety of professional backgrounds and technical abilities.
- Willingness and ability to continuously learn and be able to pick up new technical skills as well as business knowledge on a regular basis.
- Keen attention to detail, both in testing and validation of data, and in design skills.
- Able to work independently, and can appropriately assess, analyse, and verify task requirements prior to actioning reporting tasks.
- Can cooperate and collaborate with a team to learn and share knowledge.
- A knowledge seeker who is able to challenge requirements, and utilise technical skills, internal understanding and practices as well as external understanding and experiences to continuously improve skills and reporting services provided.
- Demonstrates the tendency to contribute ideas and initiate new ways of working, shows enthusiasm for project work and special assignments.
- Proven consistency in making sound decisions.
- Ability to use information, knowledge, and experience to analyse and form judgements.
- Ability to comprehend the wider contexts, developments long term goals and determines strategies and actions required to achieve such goals.
- Able to maintain sustained level of concentration in a volume processing activity to ensure accuracy and identify errors to be addressed.
- Displays a commitment to quality client service, values the supplying of accurate and timely information and relates to people from diverse backgrounds.
The Law Society of New South Wales is committed to building and maintaining a respectful and inclusive workplace, appointing the best person for the role and supporting diversity.
Applications should contain a CV and cover letter that outlines your key experience and motivations for this role.